Is this what we’re wearing now? Adelina Sotnikova began skating at the age of four in her home town of Moscow (RUS). - 2011 World Junior Figure Skating Championships: Day 5, “Adelina Sotnikova during the #Sochi2014 free skate program tonight (photo via @USATsportsImage)”.

A year later, she opted not to defend her title at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang because of an ankle injury. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Russia's Adelina Sotnikova performs in the Women's Figure Skating Short Program at the Iceberg Skating Palace during the Sochi Winter Olympics on February 19, 2014. Gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova of Russia célébrâtes for winning the Ladies' Figure Skating, (L-R) Silver medalist Yuna Kim of South Korea, gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova of Russia and bronze medalist Carolina Kostner of Italy celebrate on the podium during the flower ceremony for the Ladies' Figure Skating, Youth Olympic Games skater Adelina Sotnikova crowned as Ice Queen, Heartbreak for Kim, as Russian starlet Sotnikova glides to figure skating gold. She placed first in the short and third in the free skate, winning the silver medal ahead of Carolina Kostner. Adelina Sotnikova began skating at the age of four at the Yuzhny ice rink near her home in Moscow. Her first GP event of the season was the 2012 Skate America. _available video of the two remarkable performers in this event, "Yevgeni Plushenko to coach Adelina Sotnikova", "Spinal implants & titanium screws: Sochi Olympic champion figure skater Adelina Sotnikova announces retirement following surgery", "Adelina Sotnikova retires from figure skating competition", "Olympics: Russia's Sotnikova golden at home", "All grown up, Sotnikova enrolls in university", "Студия Аделины Сотниковой (@_studio_as) • Instagram photos and videos", Olympic champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, Golden Spin of Zagreb champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, Russian champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, World Junior champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, Junior Grand Prix Final champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, Russian junior champions in figure skating – Ladies' singles, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Adelina_Sotnikova&oldid=986561885, World Junior Figure Skating Championships medalists, European Figure Skating Championships medalists, Figure skaters at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Competitors at the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics, Articles containing Russian-language text, Sports-Reference template missing archive parameter, Articles with Russian-language sources (ru), Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 1 November 2020, at 16:51. [5], Adelina Sotnikova began skating at the age of four at the Yuzhny ice rink near her home in Moscow. She appeared at two Challenger Series events, winning the silver medal at the 2015 Mordovian Ornament behind Anna Pogorilaya and placing 6th at the 2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb. The next day, the Russian performed her free skate ahead of the Korean, producing a technically brilliant routine that featured seven triple jumps, including a triple lutz-triple toe loop combination, triple flip, triple loop, triple salchow and triple lutz, that enthralled the appreciative home crowd and earned her a remarkable score of 149.95, just 0.11 points short of the record total of 150.06 set by Kim at Vancouver 2010. In April 2017, she changed coach and training location, by hiring former Olympic men's champion Evgeni Plushenko at his skating academy, Angels of Plushenko in Moscow.

Adelina Sotnikova, the Sochi Olympic figure skating champion who last competed in 2015, confirmed that she retired from competition, according to Russian media. RELATIONSHIP DETAILS BELOW ⤵ Adelina Dmitriyevna Sotnikova is a Russian figure skater. At team events, medals awarded for team results only. Because you’ve made it to Friday! Dogged by injuries, her last competitive performance was in 2015 when she finished sixth at the national championship. As injuries started to linger, Sotnikova did not participate at any event, domestic and international, from 2016 onwards. Sotnikova had undergone cervical spine surgery in February, TASS reported, citing her coach and her agent. #IABot (v2.0.7 ... 17:56-68. After Sochi, Sotnikova skated just once on the international Grand Prix circuit. In December 2013, the gifted 17-year-old collected her fourth national title, prior to claiming a silver medal at the European Championships in Zagreb one month later, in a competition won by Yulia Lipnitskaya. Adelina Dmitriyevna Sotnikova (Russian: Адели́на Дми́триевна Со́тникова born 1 July 1996) is a Russian figure skater.

[18] She won the bronze medal at Cup of China[19] and at Rostelecom Cup, to become the first alternate for the ladies' event at the Grand Prix Final. Adelina Sotnikova (born July 1, 1996) is famous for being figure skater. [24][25][26][27] She was awarded the Order of Friendship on 24 February 2014. [10] Her sister, Maria, is two years younger and has Treacher Collins syndrome. This was my gift to my country. With Russia figure skater Adelina Sotnikova in Moscow when she was 17. The 23-year-old hasn’t competed since the 2015 Russian Championships. “When I received the final ‘no’, I felt like something was stuck in my throat. At the 2014 Russian Championships, Sotnikova placed first in the short, second in the free, and won her fourth national title, edging out Yulia Lipnitskaya for the gold. At the event in Fukuoka, Japan, she was second in the short, placed sixth in the free, and finished 5th overall. She won the bronze medal overall behind Americans Christina Gao and gold medalist Ashley Wagner. Adelina Sotnikova, the Sochi Olympic figure skating champion who last competed in 2015, confirmed that she retired from competition, according to Russian media. Adelina Dmitriyevna Sotnikova (Russian: Адели́на Дми́триевна Со́тникова [ɐdʲɪˈlʲinə ˈsotʲnʲɪkəvə]; born 1 July 1996) is a retired Russian figure skater. [22][42], In 2015, Sotnikova started up a beauty salon called "Studio Be Happy" in Moscow, which was rebranded as "Studio Adelina Sotnikova" by mid-July 2019.[43]. Sorry, but your browser needs Javascript to use this site. $100,000 - $1M. Figure skater famous for being the first female skater from Russia to win an Olympic gold medal. Sotnikova won the gold medal in the Ladies' individual event with an overall score of 224.59 points, becoming one of the youngest figure skating Olympic champions. InternetArchiveBot. Adelina Sotnikova Photos - Ira Adelina Sotnikova of Russia competes in the Ladies Short on day five of the 2011 World Junior Figure Skating Championships at Gangneung International Ice Rink on March 4, 2011 in Gangneung, South Korea. The ISU dismissed the complaint. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), In figure skating, a radical proposal to reshape the sport. She told Sport24 about this. She announced her retirement on 1 March 2020. [28] Sotnikova did not participate in the 2014 World Championships held in Saitama, Japan. Sotnikova started her season competing with Team Europe at the 2013 Japan Open. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists. In 2017, she began training with skating star Evgeni Plushenko. I will continue to make my fans happy, but not on the professional level. Born on July 1, 1996, Sotnikova began skating at the age of 4 at an ice rink near her home in Moscow. Adelina Sotnikova began skating at the age of four at the Yuzhny ice rink near her home in Moscow. “I want to [compete], but, unfortunately, my health doesn’t allow me to,” she added. The result was close and controversial, with Sotnikova overtaking Kim in the free skate to prevail by 5.48 points. Fans have come out en masse for a chance to see their World Cup heroes in the Russian Premier League. On 24–27 December 2015, Sotnikova competed at the 2016 Russian Championships and placed 6th. Adelina Sotnikova, the Sochi Olympic figure skating champion who last competed in 2015, confirmed that she retired from competition, according to … “This plate is held by six titanium screws screwed into her spine so that she could once again get back on the ice and please her audience,” Shashina added. But that’s not the end – I want to keep going, and win at the Worlds and the European Championships. [22] She finished 9th in her World Championships debut. Sotnikova made her junior Grand Prix debut during the 2010–2011 season. According to ISU age rules, Sotnikova was eligible for the senior Grand Prix circuit during the 2011–2012 season, although not for senior ISU Championships. Sotnikova at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics podium, Figure skating at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, "ISU Judging System – Season Bests Total Scores 2013/2014: Ladies", "ISU Judging System – Season Bests Total Scores 2012/2013: Ladies", "ISU Judging System – Season Bests Total Scores 2011/2012: Ladies", "ISU Judging System – Season Bests Total Scores 2010/2011: Ladies", Аделина Сотникова объявила о завершении карьеры, "2009 Russian Nationals – Figure Skating Highlights", "Sotnikova takes Junior Grand Prix title", "Sotnikova grabs second Russian National title", "Russian ladies 1–2 after short program at Junior Worlds", "Sotnikova seeking redemption at Rostelecom Cup", "Kostner wins Cup of China, qualifies for Grand Prix Final", "Russia's 'grown up' Sotnikova is hungry for new success", "Adelina Sotnikova: "My rivals shouldn't write me off, "Anger drives Sotnikova to golden finale", "Adelina Sotnikova: I was angry that I was not included in the Team event, and said to myself "I will get a medal in the individuals, even if I have to cheat, with dope, "Adelina Sotnikova used anger to win gold", "Russia's Olympic athletes receive state awards", "2014–15 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating", "Adelina Sotnikova to miss rest of ISU Grand Prix due to injury", "Adelina Sotnikova out for Grand Prix series with torn ankle ligament", "Adelina Sotnikova to miss Russia Figure Skating Championships", https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.interfax.ru%2Frussia%2F420983&sandbox=1. At the 2012 World Junior Championships, she won the bronze medal behind teammate Yulia Lipnitskaya and U.S. skater Gracie Gold. Taught by Anna Patrikeeva until the age of seven, she then began training at CSKA which is further away from her home.

DETAILS BELOW. Although Russian skating officials initially intended to assign Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya to one program each, they decided a week before the event that Lipnitskaya would skate both segments.[10][24]. Yulia Lipnitskaya. She is the 2014 Olympic champion, a two-time European silver medalist (2013–2014), a five-time medalist on the Grand Prix series, and a four-time Russian national champion (2009, 2011–2012, 2014). “I really wanted to take part because I knew that we would win a medal because our team was so strong,” said Sotnikova. I do miss it insanely, when I watch competitions, my heart breaks because I want to, but, unfortunately, my health doesn’t allow me to.”. [23] Team Russia finished 4th overall.